Shoofly Pie...Oh My!

We took the kids on an adventure this weekend to see Thomas the Train.  What a fun day!  If you are considering taking a trip to see Thomas at the Strasburg Railroad in Pennsylvania, I highly recommend it.  We had a great time.  


We were lucky enough to get a sneak peak of Thomas while we were on the school bus (another exciting thing for the kids!) that took us from the parking area to the train station.

Once we arrived at the train station, there was so much to do and see!





The highlight of the day for the kids was, of course, getting to meet Thomas the Train.


The highlight for the parents, though, was the Shoofly Pie!  Oh my, is this pie yummy!  We found this adorable little spot on the corner of Main Street in Strasburg.  If you go, make sure you have plenty of room for sweets.  You'll want to start at Strasburg Creamery, the cutest little ice cream parlor, then venture out back to the OCB Bakery and pick up a Shoofly Pie!



When I asked the lady at the counter what was in a Shoofly Pie, she explained to me that it contains white sugar, brown sugar and molasses.  She must have seen the skepticism in my face, because she quickly reassured me that it was not as sweet as it sounded.  She was right.  A delicious treat!



I'm enjoying a piece right now while I write this blog with the windows open listening to the peepers.  So peaceful, although not quite as peaceful as this view:


We couldn't help but to bring home some other treats as well...