Easy Summer Entertaining

We love to entertain and often times, it's on very short notice (if any at all). It can be time-consuming, and a tad overwhelming, to try to throw together some snacks and other treats when you do not have a lot of time to get everything ready.  After lots of trial and error, we've come up with a formula that works for us every time! This is also perfect for week night get-togethers because, let's face it, after a long day at work, no one wants to be stuck in the kitchen while everyone is outside enjoying their summer evening.

Menu
As I don't always have advance notice when we are having guests over, there are things I always keep on hand (some are perishable and others aren't). Cheese, crackers, olives, cured meats. If you've got these specialty items on hand, you can throw together a great platter in no time at all!  Remember, keep it simple so that you can get outside and enjoy some fireflies!

Tonight I'm serving the following (I like to call this my 5 c's to no-fail entertaining):
  • Crudité with hummus
  • Crostini's with fresh Ricotta, honey and a sprinkle of salt
  • Charcuterie - 2 different types of Salami and Prosciutto de Parma
  • Cheeses - Brie and a Cheddar
  • Cookies - I love to bake, but in the summertime, I just don't want to heat up the house by using my oven.  Summer is the perfect time to throw some love towards your local baker.  Sample some of the sweets that the local talent has to offer!  I just love these gems that I found; the colors scream summer!








Spirits
It's quite fun to have a signature cocktail when entertaining! I think it brings everything up a notch and our guests always love to try our new concoctions. We've managed to create a couple of gems in the past, and people now expect a creative twist to the average cocktail; the pressure is on! Our latest creation is called "The Lola," named in honor of the latest puppy addition to the family.  The Lola is simple, super pretty, and, most importantly, very delicious.



Serves 2 - I usually eyeball this and make a whole pitcher. I'll generally pour the first drink for the guests, but I always have a bar set up so they can re-fill their drinks as they like throughout the rest of the evening.  Remember the theme, keep it simple, enjoy the fireflies!

  • 3 ounces pomegranate soda
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • Juice from 1/2 lime
  • 2 ounces vodka
  • Pour into a shaker and serve over ice.

It's always important to have some non-alcoholic options available. I love the San Pellegrino sparkling fruit beverages. I can keep a few different flavors in the pantry and people love them!  Plus, with all of the flavors and fun colors, the cans make for pretty displays and no one feels like they are missing out.

Decor
I love picking up flowers at the grocery store - it's convenient, they always have a good selection and they're inexpensive. I keep a variety of different vases and switch them up depending on the flowers. Lucky for us, this past weekend Trader Joe's had garden roses. These particular roses happen to be one of my all time favorite flowers but can be hard to find. I think they look like a cross between a peony, ranunculus and rose. What could be better?! I usually stick to one color and one type of flower for my arrangements. I think they look more cohesive and elegant this way.

As far as summer entertaining goes, I really think less is more. I always keep a variety of paper napkins on hand and in the summertime, I love to use coordinating paper straws. It really elevates the feel and, again, once you have these things on hand, it's really no extra effort to put them out!  Don't be afraid to throw in some personal touches as well. Shutterfly makes great custom coasters; we have sets featuring family members and friends and others featuring favorite places we visit, like Paris, St. John, Saratoga Springs and, of course, Stone Ridge.  These coasters are great conversation pieces and make people feel more at home. (They also make great gifts if you are looking for ways to commemorate a fun evening!)


Remember the key to good entertaining is good food, good drinks but most importantly, good company.


What do you guys keep on hand for spur of the moment entertaining?  We'd love to hear about your suggestions and any recipes you feel like sharing!