Another Rehab Project


Okay, so I might be developing a problem.  I can't stop buying beat up pieces of furniture... I found this hidden gem (TBD) at a garage sale buried underneath a pile of misfit glasses and plates and broken cameras. One of these days, I'm going to have to get a picture of my husband's expression when I find something like this; it's a mix of sheer terror, fear, disgust, pity, humor and the "do I even bother to try to persuade her otherwise?" look.  So anyway, here it is.  A beat up old coffee/end table.  Where will it go?  Who knows, but considering we haven't bothered to furnish the new house yet, I'm sure we can put it to good use.  



I'm guessing someone was in the middle of re-doing this table when he or she decided to sell it.  The top was sort of sanded down, sort of scraped down and all sorts of uneven.  So, I did what any good girl would do....



I bought myself a new toy!!!  (Husband: Really, you are going to spend $100 on a sander to fix up a table you bought for $10? Me: That's such a silly question.)




Ten minutes of sanding and she was all cleaned up.  So glad I bought my new toy.... I didn't bother to do the entire table since I was using Annie Sloan chalk paint, but I wanted to smooth out all the ridges on the top and some of the "cuts and bruises" on the legs.




I filled in a few chips and nail holes, washed down the table and started painting.  I went with a straight Paris Grey.

And then I spilled the Paris Grey down the wall...I hate wasting stuff.  Grrrrr.....


One coat done:




Two coats done!  And a sponge wash on the top.  (What's a sponge wash?  When I was re-doing the kitchen cabinets, I was mixing two shades of chalk paint.  Laurie, who owns Painting a Dream where I buy my chalk paint, suggested I do a layer of the undiluted mix then take the darker shade, add some water and apply it to the cabinets using a sponge.  The look was really amazing.  I did the same thing here, only I didn't use a darker shade for the sponge wash.  I didn't quite get the effect I was going for.)




I didn't antique this table, although I think I'm going to because it looks a little yawn-worthy to me. Final decision to be made on Saturday.  I'll post an update if I decide to do a little more to it.  What do you guys think?  Should I antique it?  Add a sponge coat of a darker color?  Hmmm, so many options with this paint! And Annie Sloan isn't even paying me to plug it! ;)




Next up, a rocking chair!  Anyone have any caning experience? ;)