All Hail to the Grill-Making Kale Chips

It's summer. And it's hot out. I don't know about you, but when it's hot, I notice a dramatic shift in the types of foods my body craves. Less meat, more fruit. Nothing heavy, sticking with the veggies. Also with the heat comes a drastic decrease in motivation to use my stove; I don't like to be stuck inside cooking when it's nice out, and the oven heats up the entire house. So, I've decided to find a way to cook everything on the grill. That way I can be outside, watch the kids run around and be silly, and the house stays cool.

Now, with all the delicious fresh produce, I've been playing around with grilling techniques. Aside from the obvious ones that are simple to throw on the grill, like corn and zucchini, I wanted to figure out how to cook other veggies on the grill. So I tried making kale chips this weekend. Turns out it's as easy to grill kale as it is to bake kale.


Prep kale as you would if you were making chips: rinse, chop into bite-sized pieces, spray with a little olive oil, and add spices of your choosing. Salt, pepper or maybe some cayenne. Turn grill on low. Lay out the individual pieces of kale.


I have a small veggie grill tray that I used for the tiny pieces. For the larger pieces, I put them directly on the grill. Grill on each side for about 3-4 minutes. You have to watch carefully; they will char quickly if left on too long. Pull them off the grill, throw them in a bowl and enjoy!